Sunday, June 30, 2019

LINES TO OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE



LINES TO OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE[1]


“Am I not here who am thy Mother –
what dost thou fear?”

Deep in the tangled brushwood of my hours,
you are a sudden clearing, Madre mia,[2]
amid the choke of thorn,
incredible rose.

And where my fears sit huddled in their trembling
you are a soft word spoken, O Maria,
in heart’s cacophony, a splendid chord!

Brave alabaster out of hope-shards builded,
what need I dream of beauty, I who know
curve of your cheek, the raven hair low-winging,
soft swell of lip, the delicate flight of brow!

Exuberance, be hedged in Christ Oh! Sweetly
by this rumorous smile’s so wistful bands;
and sorrow, find your meaning, find your haven
in this gentle fold of olive hands.

Authentic glimpse of heaven, Madre mia,
your image my supernal dividend
on sorrow, and my pledge past all devising

of paradisal day.  What shall I fear
of pain, of death, of diverse ignominy
when you are here, Maria, when you are here.


Mother Mary Francis PCC
Friars.  September 1968
Used with permission



[1] According to Catholic teaching, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to an Indian convert, Juan Diego, on 9 December 1531 in Guadalupe near Mexico City, leaving a picture of herself imprinted on the inside of his cloak.  The picture has been enshrined in Guadalupe, which has become a place of pilgrimage, visited each year by millions of pilgrims.
[2] My mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment