Thursday, March 2, 2017

PROLONGED MAGNIFICAT


PROLONGED MAGNIFICAT

Against the dark I need no dawn brave wings
whose flight is not so vast as my desire
a canticle intense as light made fire
is freedom's cadenced symbol now and flings
to braver heights the song Our Lady sings.
its pain-poised tones new spans of peace acquire
and rise for joyance a sky-piercing spire,
"For He who is mighty has done great things."

The bound alone are free; I know it so,
my triple bonds* make freedom triply strong
in ordered strength a plainsong way I go,
the singing way my Mother goes along.
Matching my halting tones to hers I know
essential freedom is her living song.

Sister M Columba IHM
Catholic World. December 1959

___________________
*A reference to the three vows, poverty, chastity and obedience made by religious like the poet

From 'A Silence full of bells'

No comments:

Post a Comment