Saturday, June 27, 2020

CAROL



CAROL                                                                      
                                                                   
I carol a song of a night of stars -                                   
and of skies a midnight blue
of fragile music of young, sweet winds                                                        
that chant the long night through.                                     
                 
Of homely shepherds and sheep I sing,
and of lambs lain down with them;
none on the wide earth glad as these
hillfold of Bethlehem.

And I sing again of the silver snow
on a roadway far and calm,
that laid a white carpet for Joseph grave
and his maid-wife Miriam.

Whose swift young feet knew a rhythmic bliss
to a rapture sudden - near
to miracle-music – a small heart’s beat
which only her heart could hear.

And her sweet lips tense with a sudden joy
lend theme to my carolling,
for only the Spirit’s utter own
dared guess what the night would bring.

And weary of song, when the dawn is up
and the stars have slipped the skies,
well do I know I shall lose my heart
to a Babe with its mother’s eyes.

Sister M Thérèse SDS
Now there is Beauty.  MacMillan.  1940
Used with permission



No comments:

Post a Comment