Thursday, April 2, 2020

A BEREAVED MOTHER PRAYS



A BEREAVED MOTHER PRAYS
Holy Mother of God, where you live all is beauty and glory,
and there’s no pain at all in your blessed abode of the skies,
you have finished with weeping, and yet you remember the anguish
when tears that were bitter like mine dimmed your luminous eyes.
Tell me, how did you stand it, when Jesus Himself had ascended,
and left you to live as you could with your terrible loss?
Though you knew He was glad, did your heart ache as mine does, I wonder?
Did you feel He had laid on your shoulder His dolorous Cross?
What patience you had and what love, that you ever could bother
with John and the rest, apostles and saints though they were!
You mothered them all when the Light of your eyes had departed,
and the care of a house was still yours with its everyday stir.
Ah, strengthen my heart!  You are loving my darling in heaven.
Let me cling to your hand while I steady my faltering feet.
You can see how it’s hard.  Help me travel in faith to the ending.
While I’m hoping to meet her with you, the lone road can be sweet.

Sister Rita Agnes
Marian Library Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment