Thursday, December 26, 2019

THE POOL OF GOD


THE POOL OF GOD

There was nothing in the Virgin’s soul
that belonged to the Virgin –
no word, no thought, no image, no intent.
She was a pure, transparent pool reflecting
God, only God.
She held His burnished day; she held His night
of planet-glow or shade inscrutable.
God was her sky and she who mirrored Him
became His firmament.

When I so much as turn my thoughts toward her
my spirit is enisled in her repose.
And when I gaze into her selfless depths
an anguish in me grows
to hold such blueness and to hold such fire.
I pray to hollow out my earth and be
filled with these waters of transparency.
I think that one could die of this desire,
seeing oneself dry earth or stubborn sod.
Oh, to become a pure pool like the Virgin,
water that lost the semblances of water
and was a sky like God.
                                                                                                            (1950;1984)
                                                            Jessica Powers (Sister Miriam of the Holy Spirit OCD)
                                                            From: The Selected Poetry of Jessica Powers. Page 63.
                                                                         Published by ICS Publications, Washington, D.C.
                                                                        All copyrights, Carmelite Monastery, Milwaukee, WI.                                                                                                  Used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment