Monday, October 7, 2019

LENT IN THE MARIAN YEAR



LENT [1]  IN THE MARIAN YEAR

Changed be our vesture ... fasting and weeping ...
Ashes and sackcloth, these be all our wear ...[2]
How, within the lazy languour of ripe habit,
will I in penance fare?

The scourge of little whips can hardly touch
the secret sins, maculate and kept,
I can adjust a hair shirt with a mirror,
and make the Miserere [3] sound inept.

You are my valour, Mother, signed upon your year;
in you only am I sanctioned; in your face
alone my weeping finds no mockery;
my more than bread and water holy in your grace.

I desire (God knows how I desire) the cross,
though starveling in love, and inducted to dismay.
You are my valour, Mother, signed upon this year;
terrible as an army, impregnable in array.

Sister Maura SSND
America.  April 1954
Used with permission





[1] Lent: the forty days preceding Easter, marked by fasting and abstinence.
[2] Jonas III-7:8
[3] Have mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment