Saturday, September 14, 2019

OUR LADY OF LITERATURE



OUR LADY OF LITERATURE

Sweet Lady, teach me, let me learn the art
you knew in Bethlehem
when many words you kept within your heart,
and pondered over them.

My songs are faint, my stress and rhythm wrong,
and hesitant the chord;
one song you sang your whole life long,
and magnified the Lord.

My words like metal in the rugged ore
in darkness are confined
one shining Word beneath your heart you bore,
and gave to all mankind.

Those seven words you heard beneath the Cross
were traced in epic pain,
before you faced the tragedy of loss
that meant your children’s gain.

Sweet Mother, teach me; let me learn the art
you knew on Calvary;
the broken Word you pressed against your heart
was love and poetry.

Sister M Marguerite RSM
Messenger of the Sacred Heart.  February 1941


No comments:

Post a Comment