Sunday, July 6, 2014

My Fatima Book


 
 
Luky;
MANY YEARS AGO I compiled a children's book about the Fatima visits of Our Blessed Lady to Three Shepherd Children, with the aim of enkindling a love of the Rosary within the hearts of those who read it.
Alas, poor me. 
My book, surely the simplest little story ever related, travelled to publishers in America, Australia, Scotland, the Netherlands and I can't recall where else. It cost us a fortune in stamps, but nobody wanted it. Nearly everyone said it was very nice but that nobody was interested in stories of that sort at that time.
My mother, who was most astute, said to me: "You may not believe it now, but one day that story will be published", and she said it with such conviction that I believed her, even though that manuscript had lain unopened in a drawer for years.

Offer to pay
She was right. One day a Southern Cross reader to whom I'd lent a copy, wrote to tell me that if I would donate my manuscript to charity, she'd pay out of her own pocket to have the book printed.
I could have done that myself, and in fact the thought had occurred to me, but I felt after reflection that if nobody but me was interested in printing the book, it wasn't worth printing.

To cut costs, she asked if I'd type the final product and arrange for illustrations, so a period of great activity ensued. It all took a while, because my friend paid off the printing costs in monthly instalments of R100 each. When the book was ready, we advertised.
The books sold very cheaply and there was no sales tax because all proceeds went to charity. We didn't want to become rich, it's the message of the importance of the Rosary we yearned to spread.

Quick roundup
When I looked at my copy, I found that the last page, which explains the great promise of the first five Saturdays, was missing, so I rounded up some Fatima literature from my Portuguese buddies.
I made my own five first Saturdays many years before, but I was again touched to the core of my heart to read how Sister Lucia, Fatima missionary, experienced the request.

Message
You will probably recall that after the deaths of Jacinta and Francesco, their cousin Lucia entered the convent of St Dorothy at Pontevedra. She told us she was in her cell one night when she saw our Lady, accompanied by the Holy Child.
Touching Lucia's shoulder with one hand, our Lady showed her a heart, encircled by thorns, which she was holding in the other. The Child Jesus pointed to it and spoke to Lucia:
"Take pity on the heart of your most holy Mother, which is covered with thorns which ungrateful men at every moment nail into it with no one to make an act of reparation to remove them."
Our Lady added: "Look my daughter, at my heart, encircled by thorns, which ungrateful people at every moment nail into me with blasphemy and ingratitudes. You at least try to console me, and announce that I promise to help at the hour of death with all graces necessary for salvation all those who, on the first Saturdays of five consecutive months, confess, receive holy Communion, recite the rosary, and keep me company for fifteen minutes, meditating on its mysteries with the intention of offering reparation to me."

I was changed
Nobody could have been more indifferent to our holy Mother than me when I made the first five Saturdays, but even I felt as though my cold heart was rent apart when first I read our Lady's diffident plea; "Do you at least try to console me."
I felt as though she were talking to me directly, because my name too is Lucia, and despite my disinclination I obeyed her. I was rewarded by the gifts of a strong devotion to and special protection from the Queen of queens, and Mother Most Holy during this life, and I confidently await the fulfilment of her promise to help me with all the graces necessary for salvation at the hour of my death.

Photograph by Catherine Nicolette - poster on side of Garage; with thanks to the Garage Attendant and poster Artist

BOOK; THREE LITTLE SHEPHERDS MEET OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY CAN BE FOUND ON 
http://childrenpraise.blogspot.ie/2014_03_01_archive.html

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.

    ReplyDelete